Altitude training is considered as an elite training that is given to elite athletes in order to boost their performance. However, this technique can be pursued by anybody. But before operation these types of techniques for boosting the performance it is important to know the merits and demerits of the high altitude training. This is one of the best practices for an athlete. Generally, the high altitude training is done by endurance athletes like boxers, runners, and other high games where a lot of strengths are needed while playing the game. There are some regimens that an athlete has to follow while going through this training.
The advantages of this training:
There are much large amount of advantages that pertain to altitude training. Those merits include:
- Enhancement of blood carrying capacity: the human kidneys form a hormone called erythropoietin which stimulates the erythrocyte production. While a person trains at high altitudes the oxygen present is less and therefore as a survival measure the kidneys increase or stimulate the RBC formation in order to enhance the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
- Improving the respiratory capacity: since at the heights, the availability of oxygen is less when an athletes continually trains in an altitude high enough then the lungs eventually adapt low oxygen consumption and gradually the body learns to perform in low oxygen availability and so it helps in improving the performance at lower altitudes.
- The athletes go through this training to increase their ability and strength. So they can participate in international games to represent their nations. The athletes are suggested to go for this hard training with their couch. Otherwise, it may be not safe for you because so many things are needed to be focused on while training.
The disadvantages of this training
Though there are a lot of facts to look up to there are also some demerits to this training. They include:
- An adverse effect on immunity: for a person to be eligible to train at high altitudes he or she should have a great immunity towards diseases. A person who does not have a strong immunity build-up towards diseases then this training is not meant for them.
- Chance of dehydration increases: this training is increasingly difficult as it progresses and generally the athletes who opt for this training become prone to the effects of dehydration. At this level of height you feel a lack of oxygen. So the athletes are suggested to go with their couch for high altitude training.
So, there are some most important advantages like through this training the athletes strengthen their body muscles and brain muscles as well. Most athletes like boxers, runners, and others, etc. go for this high altitude training.