The family dentist Brisbane is quite similar to a general dentist but has more experience with children. Did you know that some family dentists may be qualified pediatricians? Yes, and these specialists are capable of providing healthcare to your little ones. When choosing a family dentist, you can practice addressing your oral needs and your children’s.
What do they do?
The family dentist focuses on preventive and general dentistry. Some common services of a family dentist include:
- Dental sealants and fluoride treatment. Both are great ways to keep tooth decay, especially common in kids.
- Regular exams and cleanings. A 6-month exam is essential for patients of all ages. It helps catch oral issues, such as:
- tooth decay
These oral issues must be treated before it becomes severe. A checkup ensures the child’s teeth develop properly.
- Orthodontics. Not all family dentists offer an in-house orthodontic treatment. But, they offer orthodontic exams and provide referrals to outside orthodontics when needed.
- Cavity checks and fillings. Tooth decay can be common, but completely preventable childhood disease. Most family dentists are specializing in filling and identifying cavities, and treat patients of all ages suffering from tooth decay.
- Gum disease treatment. A family dentist offers services, such as:
- periodontal maintenance
- root planing
Most family dentists offer general restorative dentistry and cosmetic dentistry.
What is restorative dentistry?
Restorative dentistry is about the study, diagnosis, and integrated management of teeth disease and supporting structures and dentition rehabilitation to the aesthetic and functional requirements of a person. Restorative dentistry will focus on replacing or repairing damaged or missing teeth. The procedures help improve oral function and health. Common dental restorations may include:
Restorative procedures include:
- cavity fillings
- root canals
- dental implants
There are two goals in restorative dentistry:
- Restore teeth function
- Restore teeth appearance
The purpose of restorative dentistry is to save teeth and provides teeth that look, work, and feel like natural teeth. The restored teeth help keeps the other teeth spaced correctly, even for a normal bite. Basic restorative dental procedure primarily refers to dental fillings. Also, it doesn’t simply cover the hole in the tooth but also restores the previous state.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is used for any dental work that enhances the teeth’ appearance, bite, or gums. It primarily focuses on the improvement in dental aesthetics in position, color, size, shape, alignment, and overall smile appearance. Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving the aesthetics and appearance of your smile. There are common cosmetic dental procedures, including:
- Teeth whitening
- Dental bonding
- Dental crowns
- Dental implants
- Inlays and Onlays
There are some other options that you can obtain from cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry from a family dentist in Brisbane.